William “Billy” Moran was born at the Colo on 17th March 1836 and died on the 13th June 1918 aged 82 from “senile decay”. Billy, as he was known, lived his entire life at the Colo, aside from the last 10 years of his life where he lived with relatives in the west of NSW.
Billy owned land at Central Colo. The 1905 map shown below highlights Billy’s land holdings in yellow.
Billy had three holdings at the Colo;
Lot 100 has a road running through it. This road ran up the hill past a trig point known as Moran’s Trig and connected Central Colo to East Kurrjong. This road still exists today in virtually the same alignment and and is know as “Males fire trail”.
The area around this part of the Colo became known as Moran’s Rock, presumably in reference to the rocks and cliff faces on Lots 100 and 123.
In 1975 the top of the range above Moran’s holdings on the Colo was named “Moran Rocks“.